On the same day as incorporation the construction committee placed before the Board a report from Canadian golf architect Stanley Thompson on the Webb and Piercey properties at Dutch Village. Thompson had spent three days in Halifax examining the properties and laying out a proposed course. On July 10, 1922, the Board moved to acquire the 142-acre site and construction began the same year. When work ceased for the winter, nine holes were practically completed and seeded. Find more info on galvin green online here.
By 1958 the membership had reached 802 and a portion of the Old Course was expropriated for the Bicentennial Highway, reflecting the city’s growth and subsequent pressure on greenspaces. The following year outgoing president Hal Connor was asked to look for a site for a new golf course.